Auntie Fatcat's

Sit down, have a cookie, and chat for a spell.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Anytime

Last night on Inside the Actors Studio, Morgan Freeman said that when Clint Eastwood directs, he never says “Action!” or “Cut!” Instead, he says “Anytime” and “Well, that oughta do it.”

I’ve been thinking for some time that it would be cool to start a blog, but I’ve been afraid to say “Action!” What if I don’t have time to keep it up? What if I get engrossed in blogging and neglect all the other stuff I should be doing? What if all my friends and family (see, I’m not kidding myself about who’s gonna read this) get offended and/or bored and decide they don’t love me anymore?

Doing something new always brings out the irrational panic in me, even though I’ve got plenty of evidence to show that my fears are unfounded. My friend Mike (michaelgryan.blogspot.com) manages to keep up his blog despite having both a full-time job and a small child, neither of which is an issue for me. My husband Rick (rickmarshall.blogspot.com) posts infrequently, but always makes me think. My best friend Linda (lindamry.blogspot.com) doesn’t try to post deep, important thoughts every day, but periodically shares recipes, advice, links, and other useful stuff. Even my 70-year-old father, who is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, has a blog (johnwamarshall.blogspot.com). They have all survived the experience, and everyone still loves them. (Some people probably love Mike even more since he started blogging, but then, he’s awfully clever and interesting.)

So a few months ago, I decided to go ahead and do this. But I waited for the right time. I thought maybe I’d write several entries first, so I could have backups for days when I didn’t have time to write. I’d write about deep stuff that would take too long to write about on a normal day, and then say “Action!” when I got a week’s worth of important thoughts lined up. I’d start on the deep stuff when my houseguests went home. Or when I had all my holiday prep done. Or when the holidays were over. Or when I got over being sick.

I’m still not really ready to say “Action!” But if you all are willing to bear with some fits and starts, and a mix of important and not-so-important stuff, I think I can say “Anytime.”

Well, that oughta do it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda M.R. Yaw said...

As usual, you are very clever and I smiled a time or two and giggled at least once. I enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to any others you publish.

Linda

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home